Saturday, July 02, 2005

new project lusts

Today, many lovely knit-related things: my first pair of socks growing OTS (bought the supplies just to be able to have a porta-project--nothing more comforting than row after row materializing as socks!!! I can imagine myself wearing on my retreat, if it gets chilly, which it probably will because we are having the coldest Pac Northwest July on record). Many tasks from my forbidden "to do" list done, and some I would even write as accomplishments on my calendar. This following a nearly sleepless night, where I just could not get to sleep, as insomniacal as a two-latte afternoon, which however I suspect may have been simply subcutaneous sock-knitting lust that just couldn't wait until morning.
Others: a really gorgeous knitting book--not bought yet but will go back on Monday for the sale--Elsebeth Lavold's Viking Knits Collection. Cables--I've been a cable junkie since my brain finally clicked into it at 14--and gorgeous shapes, kind of like the Hanne Falkenberg Mermaid jacket, at least in the flared hem sense. And earlier today, surfing, found this sinuous little gem. Granted, my body type needs no more flare at the hip, and I will be suffocating in scarves before long. Another lustworthy project is the Beaded Smoke Ring. Otherwise, picked up a Jo Sharp Contemporary Knitting book today and was just left cold--too basic, "not enough going on," as Buck would say. Although I liked many of her designs from the "Family" collection--yes, Aran cables and cotton--and the colors are so restful, just evoking beaches (ya think?). Remembering that I am attracted to technically complex, unusual designs, incorporating lace patterns (not a surprise that I want to leap to the most expert learnings).

But, thanks to a reasonably complete pattern and good picture-by-picture instructions, I taught myself to make socks, and so I don't worry about my ability to pick up any pattern, and I'm not interested in paying $60 for a sock class. It all started because I don't have a good "grandmother/aunt/godmother taught me to knit" story because I taught myself out of the World Book encyclopedia ChildCraft volume on projects for kids. Or maybe another antiquated book my mother (a non-knitter, they say it skips a generation?) had around.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home