Tuesday, July 05, 2005

sock away

Okay, first sock (ever) finished today, and second sock on the sticks. It is an ugly little thing--the basketweave pattern I picked to avoid the killing boredom of stockinette while still being able to knit without counting or concentration looks like a skin condition, and I should've started it when I split the round into heel flap and instep. The pattern just doesn't show up enough in this yarn (a Cascade 220 quatro with plies of blue, teal, taupe, and another blue). And because it's on the instep, I get to look down at my leprous feet all the time. Also, non-Kitchener toes, the decrease-and-close-the-loop type, look clunky. I know now I could've started with a much HARDER pattern (challenge junkie, I am). But I will love them forever, or until they wear out this winter from sliding on our lovely new hardwood floors.

So I now understand hooked on socks! I bought the yarn a week ago at The Yarn Garden. God help me, I tried to keep it to one project going at a time (not counting animal face baby blanket--hey, acrylics appropriate for droolers and vanilla-wafer-crumb-sticky fingers don't count), but I needed a porta-project for car rides, evenings outside waiting for B to finish the cigarette. Would've killed to have my sock last night at the 4th of July, actually felt itchy fingers (by the end of the evening, literally itchy, since I seem to have been stung by something on my yarn-feed/flip-off finger). Nothing like knitting to make the time pass. . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home