Friday, April 20, 2007

fo: heike socks (at last)

After a year + on the sticks, here they are
Finished Heike socks
Pattern: Sensational Knitted Socks, Baby Cable Rib
Yarn: hand-dyed, handspun superwash from Handspun on the Web, no colorway name (75% wool, 25% nylon), 400 yards
Needles: Size 0 Addi Turbo 40" circular
Method: Magic Loop, 2 at once
Begun February 7, 2006
Finished April 20, 2007 (lots of dormancy in between)
Heike socks & Harvey's ear
They're called the Heike socks after the woman who dyed the yarn--I love how it flashes and pools and just wish I'd also taken a picture of it in the hank, it was even more beautiful. There was barely enough yardage, though (I had to partially unravel my gauge swatch and was holding my breath to the end), and that was even with making the cuff fairly short. I didn't love the yarn to work with--it was very loosely plied, which made working with the sz 0 needles hard (too easy to catch or split the yarn), but I think it will be durable. They're surprisingly comfortable--I generally like short row heels better on me, but this heel flap doesn't bother me, and they're just the perfect length. And they have the added cache of being the knit project that I worked on while in the hospital, and my first FO since Sprout was born.

To end on an even happier note, here's a gratuitous baby shot from this morning's smiles:


2 Comments:

Blogger Lorraine said...

Congrats on the FO. Although with that smile, what more do you need?

6:59 AM  
Blogger Quail Hill Knits said...

Isn't is great to finally get a projects of the needles? The socks look great by the way. No wonder the little guy is smiling.

2:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home