Monday, October 03, 2005

kool aid day

With the fruity scent still hanging around in a nauseating wet-wool kind of way, here's pics of this weekend's Kool Aid dye day.

I started with KnitPicks dye-your-own merino fingering weight for socks--doesn't it look nice and cooperative?

I am an impatient girl. Stubborn, even. Perhaps what comes next is predictable.

Not much later, here's what it looked like (I even called KnitPicks customer service to see if there were some trick to it, but apparently God help you if you try to separate the one big hank into bits, since it's wound with a weird layering at one end and tied in triplicate).

I'm still fighting it, and I expect it will be near Christmas before I finally get it wound. The silver lining, though, is that I'm not missing the ball winder--it would be absolutely no help with this fiasco.

Not feeling as enthusiastic at this point, but I press on with hank #2, mixing colors:


And leapt in! What the hell is this mess???Fortunately, I liked the skein somewhat better once it came out of the microwave.

And the next one, while so Easter-eggy I can hardly imagine wearing a pair of socks made from it, seemed a little better yet, technique-wise, though still a little splotchy.

I am unimpressed with my color skills, and grateful that yarn comes in lovely colors all made. Don't think I'll be doing this again. But here's something I'm really good at, cooking at the same time:

2 Comments:

Blogger StarKnits said...

my first attempt at koolaid dyeing was just about as bad! it got better! i like your easter egg socks they would make a cute pair for a little girl!
anyways at least it was an experience!

1:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

love your "Sadie blankie" so cute

12:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home