Friday, March 03, 2006

right to blog?

Over at Annie Modesitt's blog, there has been a tempest in the teacup of the blogiverse. From what I can tell coming late to the party, there were some unflattering comments on another blog (one devoted to trashing knitwear that the anonybloggers deem inadvisable), and Annie's kinda riled up about it.

(I can say this without fear of flamers because I write an unread blog. So if by chance you stubbed your toe on a knitting webring and somehow fell across this little blog, and you live to knit Annie Modesitt designs, don't throw a hissy fit. Read on.)

Now, I generally don't like Annie Modesitt's designs. (Stop yer hissy fitting--can't we all just get along?) Too busy for me, though I acknowledge their technical knitterly elegance. And when the same bloggers trashed the IWK cabled shrug I've been longing to knit, I must admit, it smarted a bit to have my taste questioned in blogography. That said, when I stumbled onto, then lurked on her blog and read all the stuff, I thought: you go, Annie girl.

See, I have been reading The Artist's Way again, and re-reading my morning pages from the first twelve week TAW (to be honest, I stretched it out to a good 20 weeks because I just wasn't doing it right). Annie is doing her art. She is taking risks and following her vision and showing up to do the work so, by god, that makes her an artist. According to Julia Cameron, those who are doing the art are tremendously threatening to blocked artists. Vitriol is the whiff of the blocked artists.

Partly it's just fun to be snarky in anonymity. I was thinking today how paralyzed I might be if I actually knew anyone read this blog. My nice girl would get triggered, and I suspect very shortly I'd stop being interested in blogging at all. Right now it's just a place to put up pictures of something I'm passionate (but very slow) about, and to play with language a little bit--the grown-up version of those little books I was always making as a kid. You start getting readers, and then you have to start mentioning them in your blog and linking to their blogs and hosting knitalongs and running contests. And then pretty soon you have no time to knit. I'm glad there are bloggers out there that do all those things, because I really like reading their blogs.

But where the bloggers crossed the line, Ms. Modesitt says, is that they attacked her kids. Well, she put her kids in the knitwear, and then in the photos. Not exactly sheltering them. As the saying goes, though, I'll protect to the death her right to work this all out on her blog.

Ahh, blogging. The ability to have both high-school-style girlfriends--and girlfights--virtually.

1 Comments:

Blogger nann said...

Hee hee hee. Thank you for not reading my blog!

10:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home