Monday, April 10, 2006

those who can't knit. . .buy!

Now up to 3 projects OTS, with very little actual knitting time available. So instead, I've been buying knit-related items, and doing knit-related things (yes, I know this is all potential knitting time, but I'm also having problems with my hand and having to take breaks).

Friday I had a lunch up north and decided I wanted to finally spend my Hilltop gift cert that Friend C gave me for Xmas. I had had wanted us to go together, but our schedules conflict enough that it's just been impossible. I had a leisurely browse in Hilltop West, finding nothing I really wanted. I had decided that I would spend the gift certificate on something tangible--a tool like a swift or sock blockers or a really nice basket. Then, in an "I don't know how it happened" moment, I found myself buying 4 skeins of Blue Sky Alpaca Silk in Verte, a deep inky black-green (I think it was the stroking on my cheek that did me in) and saying, "Sure, let's call the East store to see if they have the other two skeins for my project."

My project was somehow a muffler for my brother Paul, using an amazingly subtle cabled pattern from Tricoter's men's sweater book. Paul is a wonderful, fun, spontaneous, warm guy (who's moving to Cleveland shortly, thus my desire to create some handknit warmth for him). But he also loses things, and he's notoriously un-careful about stuff. And, after making it over to the East side store and picking up my two more reserved skeins, I've just dropped $70 to make him a muffler that I'm certain he'll leave in a restaurant or, even worse, throw into a hot water wash-and-dry!

I came to my senses sometime on Saturday, when I decided that my original plan was better. I'm not giving up the idea of the Tricoter muffler for him, I really do want to make him something warm for his first Cleveland winter, I just need to find a more durable, less fussy, and yes, I admit it, less costly yarn.
So I drove up to Hilltop East again today (thank god for Mondays off, however long they last) and exchanged the yummy silky goodness for this:

New swift

And, not incidentally, this Bearfoot in Elderberry (which had been haunting me since I first saw it on Friday):

Mountain Colors Bearfoot


Sock yarn is such a cheap thrill.

But, lest you think I haven't been doing anything knit-related, here's evidence to the contrary (please, oh please, do not print out this picture and knit from it--pity me the fact that I don't have PhotoShop to blur the details, just leave it ALONE and go buy the damn pattern!)

Does this girl need an intarsia class or what? Figuring out how to get the most mileage out of each section was a good exercise in spatial relations, but I can't help feeling like an experienced knitter would a) laugh her ass off and then b) teach me a better trick.

Intarsia schematic

To show how happy I am to have some spring energy, I'm providing evidence that I actually made an effort with a recent home-from-work snack for B and me, on the "home-from-work-snack" plate I painted last spring (all toooooo often, our home-from-work snack is chips eaten out of the bag while standing over the kitchen sink):

Pretty snack

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home