Sunday, July 16, 2006

welcome to the queasy!

Yesterday, friend A and I went to celebrate my birthday by painting some ceramics. She made a great salad with chicken and veggies and white peaches, and I just wanted to eat peach after peach after peach. I don't know if it was a craving so much as everything else just makes me want to hurl.

B said the other day, "I've never known someone could get so excited about feeling sick."

The smell of my reasonably clean refrigerator makes me sick. The smell of Harvey's breath makes me sick. The smell of ice makes me sick. Isn't it great?

No puking, which I think of as a very good thing. But Friday, I walked back to my office after a meeting across campus. I was feeling better than I have in weeks--energetic, focused. I got to my office, sat down, began eating my morning snack, and thought, "Hmmm. I'm going to throw up." Hit me like a freight train. I walked slowly to the small office bathroom (thankfully empty, because there's often a line for our one-seater), waited, and breathed. The urge lessened a little. I walked out and casually said to a colleague, "Do we have any trash bags?"

Everybody knows now. I decided to tell, even with a month left to go in the first trimester. I wanted to control the message.

I'm doing fairly well with eating, but by the end of the day, I'm starving and sick too. So dinner has become a spin-the-wheel kind of proposition. Last night, the only thing in the world I wanted was egg foo yong. Bizarre, no? In general, the cravings have been for the tangy and the spicy. So we went to our favorite Chinese restaurant. Guess what? No egg foo yong on the menu. We ate an appetizer and soup and I ordered mu shu chicken, ate a few bites for the veggies, B had spicy eggplant. We then went to the other Chinese restaurant, where I know they have egg foo yong.

Yes, we went out to two dinners. Cost more than our fancy birthday dinner at the waterfront fish house the night before (strangely, I've also been craving fish). I hope the second trimester relief from queasy holds true, or we'll go bankrupt.

Friday, we got this:

First baby present

First baby present, from one of my girlfriends. In my head, it's not a blanket--it's an act of faith. Thanks to my distant friend A, who knows that I sometimes need help with hoping and believing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home