Wednesday, November 30, 2005

new WIP!!!

Check it out in my WIP's (sidebar): the Easter Egg socks. I'm really having fun with the two-at-once using Magic Loop, though I've decided that tangled yarn is my life's curse. It helped so much over Thanksgiving--rife with family drama--to have this project to work on.

Non-knit-related comment coming: I decided, after dropping Mom and Dad at the airport yesterday afternoon (after 1-1/2 weeks containing: one dangerous fall that resulted in a Gorbachev-style head scrape, some small yelling, a stolen purse and smashed window, a Turducken, twenty-seven loads of dishes, two movies, more lattes than a normal month, four trips to Sea-Tac, the full roller-coaster of family emotions, the world's best husband, and record-setting blankie time for Harvey with various family members) that closing a family visit is like getting up from a serious fall: you check yourself for brokenness, testing all your limbs to make sure they're still there, that you're still made up of the parts you were previously. I'm delighted to find myself intact. I'm also mostly delighted with how I withstood it, this complicated mess that is my family of origin. There were some transcendent moments that I know I will always remember, especially with Paul. I only had one 15-minute timespan that I'd erase if I could (the small yelling). Maybe when I'm 80 my Italian temper will have cooled, and I will have learned to entirely stay centered.

As it was, I felt buffeted and tested but not found wanting. Mom said yesterday as I was shepherding them through the airport, "You think of everything." I didn't need to say back, "I think of everything because growing up with you taught me to always be prepared for the worst." I suppose it's a good sign that, in this case, the yelling happened because I have let my guard down enough to not be prepared for the condition I found them in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home