Saturday, October 08, 2005

an intervention, please?

I cannot be trusted at the LYS.

Despite vowing I would not buy another project until the Sadie Blankie ends are woven (and Heidi's socks are finished), I not only bought this today

(didn't my KA cakes turn out lovely? But I've had to tell B to stop calling the device a "yarn baller"--it makes me a little squeamish)

but also this


In my own defense, I told MIL that I could make the SIL a shawl/stole for the Christmas cruise to Mexico. But I recently decided, with job changes pending and my tortoisey pace, I would have to renege and hope MIL found the pashminas she bought in Turkey last summer for Christmas gifts.

But isn't the laceweight pretty? I was going to order from KnitPicks (almost guaranteeing I'd fail to deliver the project by our sail date of December 17), but I didn't like any of their reddish lace yarns. This is a true, beautiful clear and deep red, not a touch of orange. And even though I have patterns that would surely do for a shawl/stole, this one just seemed like a good balance of lace complexity and consistent fabric. That's my story, anyway.

I also decided (same reasons as above) that the yarn store job was an absolute fantasy. Fortunately when I went today, the help wanted sign was gone and Owner said she'd found someone perfect.

Never doo-doo where you eat, is my motto: this is turning out to be my favorite LYS without having to travel to Seattle, and I wouldn't want to spoil it by having to work there and tarnish the dream. And it's weird: all my local knitting friends said, steer clear of that place, the owner's really mean. I've found no meanness whatsoever, just a person who's pretty intense (hmm, sounds familiar), serious and knowledgeable about the craft, and carries all the stuff I want to try: Manos, Koigu, Shepherd Sock, rosewood needles, Zephyr, a healthy selection of sock yarns. Even some of the stores in Seattle don't have it all in one place. The shop's in a rotten neighborhood, doesn't have classroom space, and the parking stinks. But I'm finding that, while ambience is nice, if the shop doesn't have the stuff, it's useless. So if you live in the South Sound and want to know which LYS it is (I'm really bad about being discreet, surely you can already figure it out), e-mail me.

3 Comments:

Blogger lynnm said...

I live in Des Moines and would love to know which store that is. With Pastimes in Kent closing, I am at a loss for a good store.

12:26 PM  
Blogger nann said...

It's Lamb's Ear Farm in Tacoma.

12:50 PM  
Blogger Judy H. said...

nann, if you're still thinking about working there, I used to work there, and could give you important info. Let me know.

4:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home